slider

Image Slider By helperblogger.com The slide is a linking image Pure Javascript. No jQuery. No flash. #htmlcaption

Sunday 23 June 2013

I don't like photographs!

That's about the first thing he said to me.  And he said it again several times during the shoot.  I'm the same though.  When it comes to having to pose for photos I would rather not.  I tried to tell him it would be as painless as possible.  Probably didn't help that once he came off the phone after our initial conversation that he then told all of his family what I wanted to do.  Think his nephew Matt gave him the most slagging, and during the shot his sister stuck her head in the door at least once and laughed.  Mind you when I offered to photograph her too she quickly disappeared!

I love photographing people.  Using shadows and light is something I really love.  I have recently decided that from now on if I see someone interesting I am just going to offer to photograph them.  A few weeks ago I discovered that my dad's cousin was home visiting from New Zealand where he moved to while I was a teenager to be a farmer.  Andrew, or Hank as he's known, though I have never heard why, has what I would class as an interesting face.  I saw a photo of him from a recent holiday and instantly I knew I had to photograph him.  Hank has just turned 50 and between farming and sailing he has a "worn" look to him.  Mind you being a "Hodge" brings with it its own features, though I think I have managed to avoid most of them.

For the shoot itself it was pretty simple really.  I arrived at the house and was instantly offered a cup of tea and some cake.  Anyone that knows me will know I never turn down a cuppa and as for cake, that's a no brainer.  We had a bit if a chat and then got down to business.

I used a simple black back drop, my D300 and an SB-910 in a softbox triggered by CLS.  I shot at about 1/4000 to kill any ambient.

For someone who hates having photos taken Hank was no problems at all.  He was patient and did exactly as I asked.  I kept it as quick as possible, once I was happy with the shots I just packed up and left.

 


Thanks,
 Simon

2 comments:

  1. good stuff Simon, never never ever used a Flash myself but you seem to do it well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richie! You should try using a speedlight, its amazing the difference it can make. Your D7000 is brilliant for wireless work with the right speedlight. I have a lot to learn but am totally loving doing it.

    ReplyDelete